Accepting Applications for Innkeepers for East Brother Lighthouse Bed & Breakfast
San Francisco Bay
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY – January 21, 2017
Richmond, CA: East Brother Light Station, Inc., a non-profit corporation, is seeking applicants for Keepers of East Brother Light Station, an island in San Francisco Bay that is the home of an intact 1874 lighthouse and fog signal.
After two years of extraordinary service, our current keepers, Stephanie and Bryan Wesolek will be leaving at the end of April 2017.
The lighthouse is owned by the U.S. Coast Guard but maintained for public use by the non-profit corporation. Since 1979, it has been operated as one of California's best-known and unique bed and breakfast inns. The income from operations is used by a group of volunteers to maintain the buildings, which are both a California State Historical Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The successful candidates will be a couple, one of whom must possess a Coast Guard commercial boat operator's license. They will operate the five-room inn, serving both dinner and breakfast, as well as providing ferry service for guests and all other tasks from chef to maid. High quality culinary experience and capability will be a critical qualification. The inn is open four days a week, and the island is also available for day use and special events. The new keepers will start in mid-April 2017, allowing two weeks for training.
Compensation is a function of the level of business, occupancy level and the economy. In in the last two years it has averaged $130,000, trending upward, for the couple. Compensation includes a health plan and living quarters on the island.
- East Brother Light Station Bed and Breakfast
- This Little-known B&B Near San Francisco Will Be Your New Favorite Summer Destination, August 12, 2016.
- The East Brother Lighthouse, January 24, 2016
- Facebook East Brother Light Station
- “B&B Guests at Restored Coast Guard Island Enjoy Bay Area Views” (Sacramento Bee, May 25, 2014 -http://www.sacbee.com/2014/05/25/6425305/brothers-keeper.html and http://www.sacbee.com/2014/05/16/6412517/east-brother-light-station-bed.html).
- “Destination: East Brother Light Station” (Sonoma Valley Sun, April 10, 2014 - http://news.sonomaportal.com/2014/04/10/destination-east-brother-light-station/).
- “A Lighthouse Hidden in Plain Sight” (Napa Valley Register, August 4, 2013 - http://napavalleyregister.com/lifestyles/a-lighthouse-hidden-in-plain-sight/article_a6750418-fccd-11e2-8d47-0019bb2963f4.html).
- “The 6 Best Weekend Escapes from San Francisco” (SFist, http://sfist.com/2014/04/30/the_6_best_weekend_escapes_from_san.php).
Applicants can download an application by clicking here (Microsoft Word File).